Cairngorms RDA is a local charity that is in the process of being established in Newtonmore to allow local adults and children with disabilities or learning difficulties to have access to horses and ponies as a means of therapy, achievment and enjoyment.
The national RDA is proud to have celebrated over 40 years of delivering opportunities for people with disabilities and now has almost 500 Member Groups across the UK.
Although RDA was set up to work mainly with people with physical disabilities, RDA Groups now work across the spectrum of disabilities, age range, social status and urban and rural environments. The focus of our work is to ensure that each individual has the chance to derive a direct therapeutic benefit and the opportunity to achieve their personal goal (whether that be learning a very simple skill or winning a major competition).”
At Cairngorms RDA we are a new group and welcome any support from willing volunteers, whether it is working with the horses or helping with fundraising. We also welcome any sponsorship or donations by companies groups or individuals, please get in touch with us at Newtonmore Riding Centre if you would like to help, telephone 01540 670000 or e-mail email@example.com.
The RDA gives individuals the opportunity to:
- Reach therapeutic goals: improve muscle tone and posture, develop fine and gross motor movement
- Achieve their personal ambitions: sit on a horse for the first time, learn new skills, win a Paralympic medal
- Combat social isolation: build relationships, enjoy events and competition, develop self-confidence
- Develop life skills: improve communication, take responsibility, be a team player
- Experience the outdoors: ride in the countryside, access rural Britain / Scotland
- Connect with animals: bringing positivity and optimism, adding a new element to life
More info at http://www.riding-for-disabled.org.uk/